Handbook of Speech-Language Therapy in Sub-Saharan Africa: Integrating Research and Practice (Original PDF from Publisher)
By Ulrike M. Lüdtke, Edward Kija, Mathew Kinyua Karia
This book synthesizes research on language development and communication disability in Sub-Saharan Africa and highlights best practices for providing speech and language therapy services to individuals with language, communication, and hearing disorders across the lifespan. The book brings together a wide range of international contributions from various disciplines, such as speech-language pathology, audiology, developmental psychology, language education, social work, neurology, neuropsychology, pediatrics, linguistics, pedagogy, and phonetics to provide perspectives on problems, challenges, ideas, concepts, and models to serve the people in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Key areas of coverage include:
- Challenges for speech-language therapists in the health sector.
- Community awareness and the sustainable delivery of services.
- Culture-specific support of communication and language development in early childhood.
- Malnutrition, dysphagia, feeding difficulties, pediatric HIV, and related issues.
- Communication disability treatments, including assessment and intervention, augmentative and alternative communication (AAC), and issues specific to bilingualism and biliteracy.
- Inclusive education of children with communication disorders with case studies from Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, and South Africa.
The Handbook of Speech-Language Therapy in Sub-Saharan Africa is an essential reference for researchers, professors, and graduate students as well as clinicians, therapists, and other professionals in developmental psychology, speech-language pathology and therapy, social work, neuropsychology, pediatrics, special education, community based rehabilitation, and all related disciplines.
- Publisher : Springer; 1st ed. 2023 edition (February 4, 2023)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 828 pages
- ISBN-10 : 3031045033
- ISBN-13 : 978-3031045035
File Size : 43.6 MB