Skull Base Surgery: Strategies (EPUB)
By Walter C. Jean
Unique skull-base surgical resource features strategic, technical, and philosophical pearls from master surgeons
In a sense, surgeons go into battle every time they enter the OR. Like soldiers, they must be prepared to make profound sacrifices to protect innocent people (their patients), while putting egos aside and resisting the call of fame. Skull Base Surgery: Strategies by Walter Jean and distinguished contributors provides eloquent expression to the inner voices that speak to surgeons during each stage of battle. Unlike other textbooks that only emphasize the technical building blocks surgeons need, this resource focuses on state-of-the-art skull-base procedures, important thought processes, and vital strategies required to perform them.
Size and shape variations, diverse biological characteristics, different anatomic locations and extensions, and specific relationships and entanglements with nerves and vessels make all skull base tumors unique and highly challenging. In addition to anatomy, two other important factors need to be considered every time a surgeon enters the OR – the particular circumstances of the patient and surgeon. Throughout this remarkable book, master neurosurgeons take readers on an insightful journey exploring the decision-making process of choosing and executing a surgical approach, with firsthand pearls from the battlefield.
- Nine sections organized by anatomy cover tumors in the anterior, anterolateral, lateral, central, postero-superior, and postero-inferior skull base regions, and clivus, petrous bone, and ventricles
- Thirty-two systematically organized chapters flow from clinical presentation and radiographic/anatomical findings of specific patients and tumors – to decision-making and execution of the surgical approach
- Real-life cases enhance understanding of all the elements that go into each operation
- Perspectives sections at the end of each chapter embrace the concept of diverse surgeon viewpoints on similar ideas, techniques, and approaches
This exemplary book is essential reading for neurosurgery and otolaryngology residents, fellows, veteran practitioners, and allied health personnel who care for patients with skull base tumors.
- Publisher : Thieme; 1st edition (March 11, 2019)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 455 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1626239576
- ISBN-13 : 978-1626239579