Deaf Culture (Exploring Deaf Communities in the United States) (Original PDF)
- Strong focus on including different communities within Deaf culture
- Thought-provoking questions, illustrative vignettes, and examples
- Theories introduced and explained in a practical and reader-friendly manner
- PluralPlus companion website with a word bank, glossary, resource list for readers and test bank and digital slides/presentations for teachers
- Written by Deaf and hearing authors with extensive teaching experience and immersion in ASL and Deaf culture
Table of Contents Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors Part I. Deaf Culture: Yesterday and Today Chapter 1. Deaf Community: Past and Present Chapter 2. Causes of Being Deaf and Auditory Innovations Part II. Signed Languages and Learning Chapter 3. American Sign Language Chapter 4. Deaf Education and Deaf Culture Chapter 5. How Deaf Children Think, Learn, and Read Part III. Deaf Lives, Technology, Arts, and Career Opportunities Chapter 6. Deaf Identities Chapter 7. Navigating Deaf and Hearing Worlds Chapter 8. Technology and Accessibility Chapter 9. Arts, Literature, and Media Chapter 10. Advocating and Career Opportunities Chapter 11. Final Thoughts on Deaf Culture and Its Future Index
NOTE: This book comes with supplementary content on a PluralPlus companion website. If you purchase or rent a used copy of the printed book, the code to access the website printed inside the book may have been previously redeemed/used or be incorrect and you will not be able to use it. To guarantee access to the website, it is recommended you purchase a new copy of this book.